Write a paragraph using 5 list words. Make the paragraph interesting to the reader; remember word choice as a trait to embellish your paragraph.
Justice, Landlord, Liberty, Monarch, Murmur, Parliament, Partition, Premier, Security, Solicitor.
I want JUSTICE from this stupid LANDLORD!”You are so stupid that you aren’t going with my decision and your idea”. If you think you can make your decision more powerful than mine what the frizz are you doing. “You just wait until he tries to tell the PARLIAMENT he will get thrown into the arms of SECURITY” said the PREMIER.
Activity Two :
Use a dictionary to assist you to formulate the meaning of 5 list words
Justice means a judge or magistrate, in particular a judge of the Supreme Court of a country or state.
Landlord means a man (in legal use also a woman) who rents out land, a building, or accommodation.
Liberty means the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one’s behavior or political views.
Monarch means a sovereign head of state, especially a king, queen, or emperor.
Murmur means a low continuous background noise.
Memory trick: Which witch can make you itch?
Complete the sentences below with “which” or “witch”.
a. Which side of the river do you think we should stake our
claim? “ asked the prospector.
b. The witch used magic to turn fool’s gold into real gold.
c. The police constable insisted that the gold diggers identify which
of their fellow miners were claim jumpers.
d. “Do you think the witch in the story was real or imaginary?” asked the
e. Which gold coach should we bail up next ?” asked the bushranger.
f. On which continent did the Spaniards search fruitlessly for the fabled City of Gold witch was they named “El Dorado, The Gilded One”?
Explain the difference between the following Homophones:
a. Weather, wether and whether.
- Weather is the temperature and conditions.
- Wether is a castrated ram.
- Whether is expressing a doubt or choice between alternatives.
b. Way, weigh, and whey
- Way means a direction to go.
- Weigh means how heavy something is.
- Whey is the watery part of milk
c. Wear, where and we’re
- Wear is to have clothes on
- Where is the location of something
- We’re its short for we are
d. Praise, prays and preys
- Praise means express warm approval or admiration of.
- Prays means address a prayer to God or another deity.
- Preys means an animal that is hunted and killed by another for food.
e. Saw, soar and sore
- Saw means a hand tool for cutting wood or other hard materials, typically with a long, thin serrated blade and operated using a backwards and forwards movement.
- Soar means fly or rise high in the air.
- Sore means (of a part of one’s body) painful or aching.
f. Wails, Wales and whales
- Wails means a prolonged high-pitched cry of pain, grief, or anger
- Wales means a ridge on a textured woven fabric such as corduroy
- Whales means a very large marine mammal with a streamlined hairless body, a horizontal tail fin, and a blowhole on top of the head for breathing.
g. Right, write and rite
- Right means morally good, justified, or acceptable.
- Write means mark (letters, words, or other symbols) on a surface, typically paper, with a pen, pencil, or similar implement.
- Rite means a religious or other solemn ceremony or act.
h. Awe, oar, or and ore
- Awe means a feeling of reverential respect mixed with fear or wonder.
- Oar means a pole with a flat blade, used to row or steer a boat through the water.
- Or means used to link alternatives.
- Ore means a naturally occurring solid material from which a metal or valuable mineral can be extracted profitably.